These picture sorts are a hands-on approach to word study and an excellent way for students to learn, practice, and apply phonemic awareness skills. These are great for whole-class teaching, small group instruction, literacy centers, independent practice, distance learning, or homework.
- 30 beginning sound sorts for all 26 letters (plus 4 variations) comparing one sound versus not that sound (e.g. /s/ or not /s/
( Consonant vs. Consonant)
- 20 beginning sound sorts comparing two consonant sounds
- 39 different sorts including beginning consonant digraphs, ending consonant digraphs, and beginning consonant blends
- 21 consonant ending sounds sorts
- NO PREP printables with all components on one page
- I Can… poster with center directions
A total of 110 different picture sorts!
How to Use:
During the picture sort, students will cut out the pictures at the bottom of the page. Then, they will compare and contrast the beginning or ending sound/s of picture cards to an anchor picture to determine if it has the same beginning or ending sound, and glue the picture in the column underneath the matching anchor picture.
- There are five pictures (four for blends/digraphs sort) per anchor sound.
- To extend the learning, students can write the word (or all the sounds that they hear) for each picture on or near the picture.
If you have any questions, please e-mail us at [email protected]. Be sure to click on GREEN ⭐ star ⭐ to follow our store for new products and freebies!
Linda Ekstrom and Michelle Woods