These picture sorts are a hands-on approach to word study and an excellent way for students to learn, practice, and apply phonemic awareness skills. These are great for whole-class teaching, small group instruction, literacy centers, independent practice, distance learning, or homework.
- 30 beginning sound sorts for all 26 letters (plus 4 variations) comparing one sound versus not that sound (e.g. /s/ or not /s/
( Consonant vs. Consonant)
- 20 beginning sound sorts comparing two consonant sounds
- 39 different sorts including beginning consonant digraphs, ending consonant digraphs, and beginning consonant blends
- 21 consonant ending sounds sorts
- 9 two word family (rime) sorts
- 12 three word family (rime) sorts
( Long Vowels and Short Vowels)
- 25 beginning sound sorts comparing two vowel sounds (long and short vowels)
- Sorts include: short vowel vs. short vowel, long vowel vs. long vowel, and short vowel vs. long vowel
- 10 two short vowel medial sorts
- 9 three short vowel medial sorts
- NO PREP printables with all components on one page
- I Can… poster with center directions
A total of 175 different picture sorts!
How to Use:
During the picture sort, students compare and contrast the beginning sound, medial vowel, or rime of picture cards to an anchor picture to determine if it has the same sound.
- There are five pictures (four for blends/digraphs sort) per anchor sound or rime on the two column sorts and three to four pictures per anchor rime or sound on the three column sorts.
- To extend the learning, students can write the word (or all the sounds that they hear) for each picture on or near the picture.
If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail us at [email protected]. Be sure to for updates, new resources, and freebies!
Michelle Woods and Linda Ekstrom
⭐️ Click to subscribe to our email list for even more ideas, resources, teaching tips, and FREEBIES!
⭐️ Click to check out our blog
⭐️ Click to join our kindergarten Facebook group- Celebrating Kindergarten!