Are you ready to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with an engaging twist? Welcome to the Shamrock Detective Agency! Your detectives will be highly engaged as they solve the Case of the Tricky Leprechaun through math, literacy, science, STEM, art, and more!
The Problem: The students walk into a crime scene where Finnegan O’Malley, the leprechaun, has ransacked the classroom. Will they be able to the uncover clues that will lead them to the capture of that tricky leprechaun?
The Premise: Your students will turn into detectives as they become part of the Shamrock Detective Agency. They will receive their detective badge and begin working through different investigations to uncover clues that will lead to the tricky leprechaun.
The Investigations: Your detectives will complete several investigations (St. Patrick’s Day themed centers). After they complete an investigation, they will uncover a clue from Finnegan O’Malley leading to his possible whereabouts. The investigations include:
* Unlocking Clues- Beginning sound phonics puzzles
* Crime Report- Wanted poster writing
* Criminal Sketch- Wanted poster directed draw of the leprechaun
* Trap the Leprechaun- Engineering a leprechaun trap STEM activity
* Leprechaun Looker- Craftivity
* Leprechaun Rocks- Science Investigation
* Leprechaun House- Cooking with recipe writing
* Leprechaun Stories- Four differentiated decodable stories
* Counting Gold- Addition clip cards
* Leprechaun Loot- Number Bond Problems
* Undercover Disguises- Photo booth ideas
Once your detectives have completed the investigations and collected the clues, they will put them together to figure out where Finnegan O’Malley might be. With their Leprechaun Lookers in hand, your detectives will be off to find the tricky leprechaun. Of course he won’t be caught, but they will find a special treat left behind for all of their effort.
This will be a learning-filled St. Patrick’s Day that your students will never forget!
Any resource created in color is also available in ink-saving black and white!
* Editable parent donation sign up sheet
* Case file covers
* Clue words
* Breaking News note to go home
* Parent letter for leprechaun trap donations
* Three letters left by Finnegan O’Malley
* Detective badges
* Evidence tags to print
* Evidence tape to print
* Two treat topper options
* Directions for each investigation
* Investigation cover sheets
* EDITABLE investigation cover sheets to create your own investigations
* Step-by-step directions for the leprechaun direct drawing (with photos)
* Engineering Design Process poster
* Recording sheets for most investigations
* Printable materials for each investigation
You can go all out and ransack your classroom with little green footprints everywhere, or you can keep it simple! It’s entirely up to you. You can do all of the centers or even just a few of them. We hope you and your students have a wonderful St. Patrick’s Day celebration! If you have any questions, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be sure to download the preview to see everything that is included!
Linda Ekstrom and Michelle Woods